What you get
Lessons run for 3.0 hours. We provide all necessary equipment: wetsuits, boots, and surf boards. The usage of our equipment is included in the price.
On a typical lesson we meet at the office. There we will ask you to pay for your lesson, sign a waiver & try on a wetsuit. Then we drive to the beach as a group. We take care of the surfboards & equipment. You drive yourself to the beach.
We will go as one line of cars so no one needs to worry about getting lost. It's a good idea to park in our parking lot off of Campbell St. Then we can all start driving from the same place.
Please arrive at the office wearing your swimsuit. We have one washroom which we share with other business owners so if a whole group needs to change, it can cause the lesson to run late. Guys will need to wear brief style underwear, a speedo style swimsuit or cycling shorts. Boxers/ swim trunks are too baggy to wear underneath the wetsuits.
We have change covers if needed so no one will see you in your skivvies !
Lesson info Sheet
Below is the info from our lesson info Sheet that you can also use to make sure you're ready to go—download this Lesson info sheet as a PDF.
What to bring
- Water bottle
- Small snack
- Any necessary medications: epi-pen, inhaler, etc…
- Waterproof sunscreen
- If you would like to pay using a credit card in advance please e-mail us and we will send you a Pay Pal request
- Parent or guardian - if you have not reached the age of majority to sign your waiver.
When to arrive & other info
- Arrive at the office 30 min before the scheduled lesson time
- Please arrive at the office wearing your swimsuit. The office has one washroom and if a full group needs to change, it can cause the lesson to run late
- For men: Brief style underwear, a speedo type swimsuit, or cycling shorts are best. Boxers & swim trunks can be too baggy to tuck into the wetsuits
- At the office you will be asked to fill out a waiver, pay for your lesson, and get changed into a wetsuit
- From the office you will drive in your vehicle behind the instructor’s van to the beach. The instructor will take care of the surfboards.
- After the lesson you can leave the wetsuits with your instructor and return to your accommodation. You will not need to return to the office in town.
Getting to our office
- The office address is 381 Main St. The office is at the rear of building. You can use the footpath to the left of the salon entrance.
- There is free parking on Main St. and off of Campbell St.
- The parking lot on the left side of the office is also free.
- The parking lot at the back of the building is accessible from Campbell Street.
- Highway 4 becomes Campbell St. Keep driving into the ‘downtown area’ on Campbell Street. You will pass over Third Street. There will be a parking lot on the right hand side (full of RVs). Drive through the parking lot and you will see our office. In the teal building. Our access ramp is to the left of the Tofino Tea Bar. Look for our yellow logo.
See Contact for full contact details including a Google map.
The Tofino Surf School Difference
- Small student to teacher ratios
- Personalized attention
- More time in the water and less time on the sand.
Personalized, fun lessons with experienced instructors.
Winter & Spring
Summer Lesson Times
June, July, August
- 8am, 12pm and 4pm